In the April plenary session, the Mayor of A Coruña read the institutional declaration in relation to the Day of Active Nonviolence approved unanimously in the Board of Spokespersons by representatives of Atlantic Tide, PP, PSOE and BNG.
The initiative was presented by the association World without Wars, declared with special status in the ECOSOC United Nations and member of YO PUEDO, the platform awarded the Nobel Peace Prize at 2017.
The 2ª World March for Peace and Nonviolence
Xulio Ferreiro, read the Institutional Declaration approved in plenary:
Through this Institutional Declaration, the City Council of A Coruña adhere to the World March for Peace and Nonviolence and declares October 2 as "Active Nonviolence Day" in the city of A Coruña.
This March will travel the world from the 2 day of October of 2019 to 8 of March of 2020.
It will march through all the continents of the planet to denounce the dangerous world situation with growing conflicts, the increase in armaments expenses while millions of people are delayed due to lack of food, water, etc.
Simultaneously, in hundreds of cities, we will develop activities for peace, and awareness of the different forms of violence.
To continue creating awareness that it is only through peace and nonviolence that the human species will open its future ... "
The central themes of this World March for Peace and Nonviolence are:
- The prohibition of nuclear weapons. Disarmament proportional towards the renunciation of states to use war to resolve conflicts or to appropriate resources.
- The re-foundation of the United Nations, including the Security Council, an Environmental Security Council and a Socioeconomic Security Council.
- The creation of conditions for an integrally sustainable planet, which takes into account that it is a limited space that we must definitely take care of.
- The integration of regions and zones with socioeconomic systems that guarantee well-being and resources for all, with the aim that in the next 10 years hunger disappears in the world.
- Non-discrimination of any kind: sex, age, race, religion, economy, etc.
- Nonviolence as a new culture and active nonviolence as a methodology of action.
The 2 of October, declared Day of Active Nonviolence in Coruña
"We also expressed our decision to declare the October 2 "Day of Active Nonviolence in the city of A Coruña " and celebrate and promote activities from the City Council inspired by Peace and Nonviolence ...".
The October 2 commemorates the birth of Gandhi and was declared by the UN at 2008, Day of Nonviolence.